City News: June 2011 Archives

One of downtown Riverside's oldest buildings dating from the late 1800s will soon disappear as a plan for an arts school for Riverside Community College District moves forward.

rmm-holyrood-01-800.jpg
@1900
Hotel Holyrood
3801 Market Street
(Courtesy of
Riverside Metropolitan Museum)


lech-riv-hotel-plaza-02a-600.jpg

lech-riv-hotel-plaza-01a-600.jpg
Two postcard views of Hotel Plaza
(Courtesy of Steve Lech)

riv-2009c-dt-market-3801-004ac-800.jpg
2009
3801 Market Street

map-2010-ms-riv-dt-hotelplaza-01.jpg
2010
Southwest corner of
Market and University

riv-2011c-dt-market-3801-002ac-800.jpg
2011
Market Street at University Avenue

riv-dt-market-19260808-600.jpg
1926
Riverside Finance Company
3855 Market Street

rpl-yb-1964-poly_0002ac1-800.jpg
1964
Sterling Savings
3855/45 Market Street*

pc-riv-1970-dt-market-001ac-A-600.jpg
@1970
Market Street

riv-2010c-dt-market-3855-001ac1-800.jpg
2010
3855/45 Market Street

riv-2010c-dt-market-3855-004-500.jpg
2010
3855 Market Street

riv-2011c-dt-market-3855-030a.jpg
2011
3855 Market Street

Located at the southwest corner of Market Street and University Avenue, the building in question was originally built as a sanitarium by Dr. Clark Whittier, a wealthy Canadian who bought what was then a muddy marsh in 1881. Bounded by Market, Chestnut, Eighth (University) and Tenth streets, the unimproved land had been designated for public use following the removal of similar plans on land bounded by Market, Main, Seventh (Mission Inn) and Eighth (University) streets (where the California Tower stands today).

Whittier cleaned up and improved the land, creating the planned public park (which later became known as White Park). In exchange, Whittier was granted building rights on portions along Eighth (University) and Tenth streets, with the southwest corner of Eighth and Market becoming the location for his sanitarium in 1884. (A street separating the sanitarium site from White Park still bears Whittier's name to this day.)

Originally referred to as Park House, it appears Whittier's plan for a health spa/sanitarium never fully materialized as he soon allowed Frank Miller, then of the Glenwood Hotel (pre-Mission Inn era), to begin leasing out its 20 rooms and five large bathrooms. (It's also likely during Miller's managing of the building that its name was changed to Park Hotel, as is seen in at least one early photo.)

In 1894, Whittier's widow sold the building to David and Flora Cochrane for $12,000. The Cochranes, also of Canada, remodeled the rooms and renamed the building Hotel Holyrood in 1895. The new name was likely in reference to the Holyrood district of Edinburgh, Scotland (and a nod to David's Scottish roots).

In 1900, the Cochranes added large expansions along both Eighth and Market streets, increasing the hotel's size to accommodate 100 guests.

In 1924, new owner Pliny T. Evans -- son of early Riverside leader, Samuel C. Evans -- streamlined the original building's rustic, three-story mansard-style facade. Evans modernized the interior, converting 70 rooms and 5 bathrooms into 40 larger rooms and 15-20 baths. (Although city permits indicate the 1924 remodeling may have included a new corner building, it's unclear whether this was actually the case. Later newspaper accounts report it as being gutted and remodeled, which exterior photos seem to confer.)

Following the remodeling, the building was renamed Hotel Plaza -- a name that would last atop the building well into the 1990s (view back of sign @1970).

We're not certain when rooms stopped being rented, but a 1980 newspaper article about possible redevelopment for a "modern high-rise" indicates rooms were still occupied. More recently, we seem to recall upper spaces still in use during the mid- to late-1990s.

City permits show the various street level spaces housed several commercial entities over the years, including at least one restaurant (Chung King), two furniture stores (Riverside Home Appliance, Raymonds), a shoe store (Greenwood Shoe), a print shop (American Speedy Printing), a market and deli (Atlas Market), a development firm (Peri & Associates), a skateboard shop (Crooks) and a psychic reader (Psychic Experience).

Though not a particularly striking building in its own right, we've come to admire the old Hotel Plaza building more in recent years, mostly for its place in downtown Riverside's early history. But we've also come to appreciate its old-school "urbanity" -- fire escapes, cluttered backside -- not found much these days, particularly in predominately suburban towns like Riverside.

Along with the demolition of all three buildings that comprise the Hotel Holyrood/Plaza, an adjacent building along Market Street will also come down. Together, the four structures are to be replaced by a $24 million, 51,600 sq. ft. building that will house RCC's Culinary Arts Academy and administrative offices. The new three-story building will include a rooftop reception area. Completion is expected by April 2014.

Situated behind the new Culinary Arts building will be the focal point of the district's overall arts school plan -- the $63.2 million, 88,862 sq. ft. Henry W. and Alice Edna School for the Arts**, which received a $5 million grant from longtime local builder Henry Coil Jr. It will include two levels of underground parking and be situated on an existing parking lot behind the Market Street buildings. This later phase is expected to be completed by Fall 2015.

One exception to the overall demolition plans on the site is the restoration of the former Riverside Finance/Citrus Belt/Sterling Savings building. Located on Market Street adjacent to White Park, it will be remade into the $6.3 million, 11,000 sq. ft. Center for Social Justice and Civil Liberties.

Expected to open in June 2012, the center will contain two floors of gallery space and house the college's Mine Okubo archival collection. Riverside-native Okubo was a Japanese American civil rights advocate and alumnus of RCC. She bequeathed her collection to the college upon her death in February 2001.

The most interesting aspect of the 85-year-old building's refurbishment is the uncovering of its original ornate facade, which appeared again this week after being hidden behind a false-front for the past 50 years. Designed by well-known Los Angeles architect Stiles O. Clements (Wiltern Theater, Mayan Theatre), a 1926 newspaper article described the building and its facade as follows:

Plans have been completed for the handsome new office building of the Riverside Finance Company, at Market Street and Whittier Place. ... (the building) emphasizes a classical architectural design ... with an arched entrance of distinctive metropolitan character. ... The ceiling will be unusually high, giving a dignified and attractive effect to the interior of the building.

Riverside Press - Aug. 1926

The classic facade was later hidden behind a flat stucco wall held up by steel beams added around the bank (and adjacent building). The wall was then partially shielded by thin, horizontal slats, giving the building a sleek and modern look popular at the time. City permits seem to indicate this took place in 1961 for then-tenant Citrus Belt Savings & Loan.

Through the years, at least two other banks -- Sterling Savings & Loan and Imperial Savings -- have also occupied the space (we also recall Provident Savings Bank may have had a branch there at some point as well).

A few years back, a hole was punched into the front stucco facade, revealing the still-existing, 1926 Spanish Baroque (Churrigueresque) facade. This revelation no doubt helped save the building as part of the upcoming arts school complex.

In a ground-breaking ceremony held last Thursday for the project, college officials finally unveiled the classic facade. Down came the stucco wall and portions of brick veneer on the side of the building. Also removed was some form of faux marble veneer at the base of the building, revealing brick underneath (which is likely a covering of some sorts as well).

Overall, the 1926 facade looks to be in relatively good shape, though there are portions that appear to have been damaged and possibly even shaved down during the 1961 covering. Hopefully, the refurbishment will be able to fully restore these portions.

Related


riv-2010c-dt-market-3801-018a-500.jpg
2010
3801 Market
riv-2010c-dt-market-3801-025a-800.jpg
2010
3801 Market
riv-2010c-dt-market-3801-033-500.jpg
2010
3801 Market
riv-2010c-dt-market-3801-038a-500.jpg
2010
3801 Market
riv-2010c-dt-market-3801-013a-500.jpg
2010
University


riv-2010c-dt-market-3845-007-500.jpg
2010
3845 Market
riv-2010c-dt-market-3855-016ac-500.jpg
2010
3855 Market
(rear)
riv-2010c-dt-market-3855-008a-500.jpg
2010
3855 Market
(re-numbered)
riv-2011c-dt-market-3855-037-500.jpg
2011
3855 Market
(w/o marble)
riv-2011c-dt-market-3855-031-800.jpg
2011
3855/3845/3801
Market Street


riv-2011c-dt-market-3855-043-800.jpg
2011
3855 Market
riv-2011c-dt-market-3855-022a-500.jpg
2011
3855 Market
riv-2011c-dt-market-3855-039-800.jpg
2011
3855 Market
riv-2011c-dt-market-3855-041-500.jpg
2011
3855 Market


rccd-2010-rsa-01.jpg
RCC School for the Arts**
rccd-2010-rsa-02.jpg
RCC School for the Arts**
rccd-2010-rsa-03.jpg
RCC School for the Arts**



* 1964 Poly High School yearbook
** Courtesy of Riverside Community College District

Sources: "Riverside's Invisible Past" (Joan Hall), The Press-Enterprise, City of Riverside, Riverside Public Library, "Riverside - 1870-1940" (Steve Lech), Old Riverside Foundation


More - City News: June 2011:
April 2012 | March 2012 | December 2011 | November 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | March 2011 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010 | November 2009 | September 2009 | August 2009 | July 2009 | June 2009 | May 2009 | April 2009 | February 2009 | January 2009 | December 2008 | November 2008 | September 2008 | August 2008 | July 2008 | June 2008 | May 2008 | April 2008 | March 2008 | February 2008 | December 2007 | October 2007 | July 2007 | June 2007 | May 2007 | April 2007 | March 2007 | February 2007 | November 2006 | September 2006 | August 2006 | July 2006 | June 2006 | May 2006 | December 2005 | October 2004 | January 2004 | December 2003 | November 2003 |

About this Archive

This page is a archive of entries in the City News category from June 2011.

City News: May 2011 is the previous archive.

City News: July 2011 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the RXSQ Main Index or look in the Master Archives to find all content.

Follow Us


Make Custom Gifts at CafePress








Powered by Movable Type 4.35-en
version: 4.35-en
  • Subscribe to feed Subscribe to this blog's feeds: Atom

Categories

Archives

Tags

Recent Comments

RXSQ on Sharing a bit of library love: @Rene -- Thanks for commenting! Typically, a love/ ...

Rene on Sharing a bit of library love: Am I the only one who thinks it's hideous? It's no ...

RXSQ on Behind the scenes: @Jason -- Yes, it's usually in stock at the Rivers ...

Jason on Behind the scenes: Is Riverside - Then & Now available at Barnes and ...

RXSQ on Latest plans for downtown library: renovation, not demolition: @Michael -- Thanks for the comment and we agree 10 ...

Special

thumb-cafepress-001-250.jpg

Got Riverside? RaincrossSquare is now on CafePress! We are offering a limited number of products -- such as framed prints, postcards and calendars -- using locally-themed images and graphics. Please feel free to browse our online shop.

Photo Request: We're looking for iconic shots and city views taken between 1940 - 1990 in and around Riverside, especially those where the landscape has significantly changed. Read more...

Photos

Photo Galleries
Downtown | City

Photo Pool
www.flickr.com
items in Raincross Square View/add photos: Raincross Square photo pool

Of Interest























Local Links