3900 Market Street - White Park Building

| | Comments (0)
riv-pw-Potter-Hotel-1926a-700.jpg
1926
Newly-built Potter Hotel
(Courtesy of Peter Weber)


riv-pc-potter-hotel-001ac-800.jpg
c.1926
Potter Hotel postcard

riv-2008c-dt-9th-market-002ac-800.jpg
2008
White Park Building

riv-2010c-dt-market-3900-004a-800.jpg
2010
Architectural details

Above is a 1926 photo of the then newly-built Potter Hotel located on the southeast corner of Market Street at Ninth Street in downtown Riverside.

The photo comes to us courtesy of Peter Weber, son of Peter J. Weber who was the chief designer for the Riverside architectural firm of G. Stanley Wilson. Both Weber and Wilson played a role in many of Riverside's significant buildings of the early- to mid-1900s, including portions of the Mission Inn. (We have a few other photos graciously supplied to us by Weber that we hope to spotlight in the coming months.)

Built by Sidney E. Potter of Stahlman and Potter Construction Company, the Potter Hotel was one of several similarly-sized hotels built in downtown during the early 1900s. Its architecture appears to be a mixture of Spanish and Italian Renaissance with a hint of Beaux Arts thrown in for good measure. An excerpt from the book "Riverside in Vintage Postcards," states "it is more like a home than a hotel ... every room [has] a bath, fine light, and ventilation." And indeed, as the postcard to the right suggests, "Air Cooled" was a big selling point for the hotel.

Over the years, the building also housed various businesses, beginning with the Citrus Belt Building and Loan Association in 1926 (which may have been an early forerunner to Citrus Belt Savings & Loan). And according to the 1955-56 Criss-Cross directory for Riverside, the building had already been renamed as the White Park Building. Tenants at the time included Watts-Laivell General Insurance and attorneys S. Thomas Bucciarelli, Rex Estudillo (3900 Market), L.B. Mathis Realtor (3910 Market), Fox Beauty Salon (3930 Market), Potter Hotel (3940 Market), David Miller Realtor (3942 Market), First Thrift of California (3944 Market) and Fairman & Company Brokers (3946 Market).

By 1967, the building's southern portion had been replaced with a small parking lot (we're uncertain as to when and unclear as to why). Today, the remaining building is still known as White Park Building with Riverside Mission Florist as its primary (and longtime) tenant.

Sources: Riverside Public Library, "Riverside in Vintage Postcards" (Steve Lech), "Riverside - Then & Now" (Glenn Edward Freeman), 1955-56 Criss-Cross City Directory



Leave a comment


Type the characters you see in the picture above.




Yearly Archives: 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 |
RXSQ Home | Master Archives | ^^Top of Page

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by RXSQ published on January 11, 2012 4:11 PM.

Inside the long-shuttered doors of 3750 Main Street was the previous entry in this blog.

Out & About - Historic walking tours of downtown Riverside is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the RXSQ Main Index or look in the Master Archives to find all content.

Follow Us


Make Custom Gifts at CafePress








Powered by Movable Type 4.35-en
version: 4.35-en
  • Subscribe to feed Subscribe to this blog's feeds: Atom

Categories

Archives

Tags

Special

thumb-cafepress-001-250.jpg

Got Riverside? RaincrossSquare is now on CafePress! We are offering a limited number of products -- such as framed prints, postcards and calendars -- using locally-themed images and graphics. Please feel free to browse our online shop.

Photo Request: We're looking for iconic shots and city views taken between 1940 - 1990 in and around Riverside, especially those where the landscape has significantly changed. Read more...

Photos

Photo Galleries
Downtown | City

Photo Pool
www.flickr.com
items in Raincross Square View/add photos: Raincross Square photo pool

Of Interest























Local Links