Then & Now - Sears

| | Comments (3)

In 1964, after nearly 35 years in downtown Riverside, Sears Roebuck & Co. opened a new, larger "suburban-style" store about 5 miles southwest of its former Main Street store.

2009-TN-title-sears-1964-2008.jpg
Then & Now
Riverside Sears: 1964 - 2008
Flash: View photo overlay

map-2009-riv-sears-01-800.jpg
@2009
Area overview
MS Virtual Earth

map-2009-riv-sears-03-800.jpg
@2009
Store overview
MS Virtual Earth

1968-ramona_0005ac.jpg
Mid-1960s
Full parking lot

Located on 19 acres at the northeast corner of Arlington and Streeter avenues, the 93,000 sq. ft., $3 million store was Sears' largest store in Inland Southern California when it opened. As a "Class A" store, it offered the retailers' complete line of merchandise -- both hard and soft goods. It also included a full-service automotive fueling and repair station. And, according to a Press-Enterprise article from November 1963, it included a 76-seat restaurant. (Can anyone confirm whether the restaurant opened, and if so, how long it remained?)

Though the iconic green Sears script logo, the gas station, the restaurant -- if there ever was one -- and the aroma of freshly-popped popcorn so many of us remember as kids are all long gone, the store itself remains much as it did in 1964, with a ground-level sales floor and full basement.

Outside, the exterior sports the classic "California" motif with mid-century facade, flagstone veneer and palm trees sprouting up through the overhangs. This design, seen in several west coast (a) stores built during the 1960s, was a product of Los Angeles-based Charles Luckman (b) & Associates (who also designed the former Broadway (c)/Macy's store at Riverside's Galleria at Tyler). For those interested, Lindgren & Swinnerton was the general contractor for the new store.

Prior to the Arlington Avenue location, Riverside's first Sears store opened in 1929 near the corner of Fifth and Main streets (near today's Marriott Hotel). Nine years later, on June 2, 1938, a newly-relocated Sears opened at 3700 Main Street. The new store, which replaced the 1890 Rubidoux Building, included two floors, a mezzanine and basement. It also provided "drive-up" service to an automotive center (d) in an adjacent building located at the rear (where Mario's restaurant is today). Enclosed skybridges provided access between the two buildings. For several years recently, the former Main Street Sears has housed the popular Mission Galleria antiques.

It's interesting to note the Arlington Avenue Sears is a bit of an anomaly in Southern California in that it is not located at or near a mall, but in fact is a full-size, stand-alone store. Most SoCal Sears, particularly those built post-1960, anchor malls, including nearby stores in San Bernardino, Montclair and Moreno Valley. But with the recent announcement of Gottschalks' bankruptcy and liquidation -- which will create a vacancy at the Riverside Plaza -- will Riverside's Sears make the move to a mall?

Flash: Riverside Sears: 1964 - 2008

More: RaincrossSquare.com - Then & Now

riv-2008c-sears-022-600.jpg
2008
"California" motif
riv-2009f-sears-024-600.jpg
2009
East entrance
riv-2009f-sears-002a-600.jpg
2009
1960s logo


riv-2009f-sears-004-450.jpg
2009
Stairwell
riv-2009f-sears-010-600.jpg
2009
Escalators
riv-2009f-sears-014-600.jpg
2009
Basement
riv-2009f-sears-008-450.jpg
2009
Ground floor


riv-2008c-sears-007a-600.jpg
2008
Sleek facade
riv-2009f-sears-027-600.jpg
2009
Automotive center
riv-2009c-dt-main-3700-009-400.jpg
2009
Old Main
Street Sears
riv-2008fn-dt-galleria-004-450.jpg
2008
Old Main
Street Sears



(a) Courtesy of Malls of America
(b) Loyola Marymount University - Charles Luckman Collection
(c) Courtesy of Jim Van Schaak
(d) Courtesy of RPD Remembers



Sources: City of Riverside, The Press-Enterprise, "Colony for California" (Tom Patterson)



3 Comments

Great post! I work at the auto center here and was wondering if you had a picture of it brand new?

Thanks for the comment! Unfortunately, we do not have any old photos of the Sears auto care center. If anyone else has any, please share them!

Yes there was a restaurant just inside and to the right as you entered the west door. Not sure how long it lasted. But it seems to me that it was still operating in the '70's.

Leave a comment


Type the characters you see in the picture above.




Yearly Archives: 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 |
RXSQ Home | Master Archives | ^^Top of Page

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by RXSQ published on May 12, 2009 8:33 PM.

AVP Crocs Tour 'Riverside Open' was the previous entry in this blog.

Update: Regency Tower - May 2009 is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the RXSQ Main Index or look in the Master Archives to find all content.

Follow Us


Make Custom Gifts at CafePress








Powered by Movable Type 4.35-en
version: 4.35-en
  • Subscribe to feed Subscribe to this blog's feeds: Atom

Categories

Archives

Tags

Special

thumb-cafepress-001-250.jpg

Got Riverside? RaincrossSquare is now on CafePress! We are offering a limited number of products -- such as framed prints, postcards and calendars -- using locally-themed images and graphics. Please feel free to browse our online shop.

Photo Request: We're looking for iconic shots and city views taken between 1940 - 1990 in and around Riverside, especially those where the landscape has significantly changed. Read more...

Photos

Photo Galleries
Downtown | City

Photo Pool
www.flickr.com
items in Raincross Square View/add photos: Raincross Square photo pool

Of Interest























Local Links