Downtown fire station dedicated

Downtown fire station dedicated

More than forty years after a fire that destroyed the iconic Arlington / Tetley Hotel, the northwest corner of University and Lime is again occupied following the dedication of Riverside’s new Downtown Fire Station.

2013 - New Downtown Fire Station

2013 – New Downtown Fire Station

Built at a cost of $12 million as part of the Riverside Renaissance capital improvement program, the station’s opening was delayed by more than a year due to weather issues and the collapse of a Temecula-based general contractor.

The new, 3-story station includes the latest technological advances but also contains old-school touches, such as two, 3-story fire poles. Along with individual dorm rooms — better suited for today’s co-ed firefighters — the station also includes admin offices and a fire museum with displays of historical fire equipment. The centerpiece of the museum is a 1926 American La France pumper used by the Riverside Fire Department from 1926-1965.

2013 - Fire museum

2013 – Fire museum

The station replaces the 1957 mid-century Central Fire Station directly behind it on Mission Inn Avenue. Designed by Riverside architect Bolton C. Moise, the old “form follows function” styled station is listed on the California Register of Historical Resources as a fine example of mid-century modern architecture. With its large, support-free engine bay and old-school fire poles and alarms still intact, we hope to see the old station reused (possibly as a brew house?).

For those who have long since forgotten (or never even knew), the new station sits on the former site of the Arlington / Tetely / Riverside Hotel — one of Riverside’s best examples of Victorian-era architecture from the 1890s. A fire destroyed the hotel in December 1972.

Circa 1905 - Arlington Hotel (RMM)*

Circa 1905 – Arlington Hotel (RMM)*

Also not to be forgotten is the fact the new station continues the 100-plus year tradition of having a fire station located in the immediate vicinity, which began with the 1905 station built just across the street on University Avenue (then Eighth Street) roughly between where Pizza Hut and Arts Bar & Grill are today. That station, which was torn down in 1963, remained in use until the 1957 station was built directly behind the new one.

Related

Images courtesy of: *Riverside Metropolitan Museum, **City of Riverside

Sources: Riverside Press-Enterprise, City of Riverside, Riverside Public Library

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.