With several thousand in attendance, including police officers from throughout California and the West, the community of Riverside said goodbye to slain police officer Michael Crain on Wednesday, Feb. 13.
Services began at The Grove Community Church before continuing at Riverside National Cemetery where Crain, 34, was laid to rest. Prior to his 11-years with Riverside Police, Crain served in the Marine Corps. including two tours in Kuwait.
Authorities say Crain and a partner were ambushed at the intersection of Magnolia and Arlington avenues by ex-Los Angeles police office Christopher Dorner shortly after 1:30 a.m. Feb. 7 while on patrol. Crain’s partner survived but the ambush led to a week-long manhunt across five Southern California counties that captured national attention.
The series of events began Sunday, Feb. 3 with the shooting deaths of a young Irvine couple — Monica Quan, 28, and Keith Lawrence, 27. Quan’s family had ties to Los Angeles Police, which officials say explains why they were targeted. A few days after, authorities say Dorner attempted to steal a boat from the San Diego harbor. Later that night he shot at LAPD officers in Corona just minutes before the ambush in Riverside that killed Crain. Dorner then headed to Big Bear in the nearby San Bernardino Mountains where he remained in hiding until a shootout and fire yesterday (Feb. 12). San Bernardino Sheriff’s Deputy Jeremiah MacKay was killed and another seriously injured in the shootout at the cabin off Highway 38 near Seven Oaks. It is believed Dorner perished in the incident.
Below is a collection of photos by us from portions of today’s services outside The Grove Community Church and later at Riverside National Cemetery. Our hearts are with the family members affected by the recent tragic events.
- Riverside Press-Enterprise – Thousands salute ‘ultimate sacrifice’ (Feb. 13) | Special Section
- Los Angeles Times – Slain officer’s wife speaks of losing ‘perfect’ mate (Feb. 13) | Special Section
- ABC-7 Los Angeles – Slain officer remembered as tough cop with huge heart (Feb. 13)
- CBS-2 Los Angeles – Slain Riverside Police Officer Laid To Rest (Feb. 13)
- NBC-4 Los Angeles – Riverside Officer Remembered as “Ideal Policeman” (Feb. 13)
- FOX-11 Los Angeles – Mourners Gather For Slain Riverside Officer Michael Crain (Feb. 13)
- KTLA-5 Los Angeles – Thousands Attend Funeral of Slain Riverside Officer Michael Crain (Feb. 13)
Sources: Riverside Press-Enterprise, Los Angeles Times