Last Friday, weatherman Sam Champion of ABC-TV’s Good Morning America paid a visit to downtown Riverside for a special broadcast highlighting the Mission Inn’s “Festival of Lights.” The live broadcast was part of GMA’s weeklong, “Light up the Holidays” special, wherein 5 different holiday displays from across the U.S. were featured during the program’s weather segments.
For those who missed the broadcast, InstantRiverside.com has a report here. For those interested in visiting the FOL, the festival runs nightly through Jan. 1, 2008. We suggest parking in one of the three Orange Street parking garages in downtown, particularly if you’re visiting Friday, Saturday or Sunday evenings (parking is free after 5 p.m. and all day on the weekends). A fourth garage is also available off Market Street between Mission Inn and University avenues.
This is the 15th year of the FOL, which began as a modest, hotel-only holiday lights event that has since grown to include over 3 million lights, animated figures, carolers, carriage rides and a small ice skating rink on the Main Street Pedestrian Mall.
- GMA – Light up the Holidays
- InstantRiverside.com – Good Morning America at FOL | Festival of Lights lighting ceremony
- Riverside Press-Enterprise – Festival of Lights begins in downtown Riverside
- Mission Inn – Festival of Lights
- City of Riverside – Festival of Lights info
- RaincrossSquare.com – 2006 Festival of Lights
Sources: The Press-Enterprise, Mission Inn, City of Riverside